Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2008-06-16

Meeting was called to order at 8:20am EDT

1. Roll Call (Participants):

Brad Van Treuren
Peter Horwood
Carl Walker
Ian McIntosh
Heiko Ehrenberg
Carl Nielsen
Tim Pender

2. Review and approve minutes

6/9/2008 minutes approved (Ian moved, Heiko second)

3. Review old action items:

  • Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Establish whether TRST needs to be addressed as requirements in the ATCA specification if it is not going to be managed globally (All)
  • Register on new SJTAG web site (http://www.sjtag.org) (All)
  • All need to check and add any missing Doc's to the site (All)
  • Respond to Brad and Ian with suggestions for static web site structure
    (Brad suggests we model the site after an existing IEEE web site to ease migration of tooling later) (All)
  • Look at proposed scope and purpose from ITC 2006 presentation and propose scope and purpose for ATCA activity group (All)
  • Look at use cases and capture alternatives used to perform similar functions to better capture value add for SJTAG (All)
  • Volunteers needed for Use Case Forum ownership (All)
  • Continue Fault Injection/Insertion discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • Continue Structural Test use case discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • We will need to begin writing a white paper for the System JTAG use cases to provide to the ATCA working group (All)
    Most likely, champions will own their subject section and draft the section with help from others. This paper will be based on the paper Gunnar Carlsson started in 2005.
  • All: review how to use the forum
  • Locate ATCA glossary of board and system states (Adam, Brad)
  • Continue POST use case discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • Adam review ATCA standard document for FRU's states
  • all send out bullet lists of key topics for the future discussions
  • all to think about what the hierarchy should look like and what topics should be discussed in the separate documents; submit comments and suggestions prior to next meeting;
  • Ian and Brad work on the Introduction outline
  • Carl N. and Carl W. work on the hardware architecture outline
  • Heiko and Peter work on the use case outline
  • Look at the formatting issues next week (All)

4. Discussion Topics

    1. Brief overview of proposed SJTAG Wiki (Ian)
      • [Ian] There is a link to the wiki site from sjtag.org or you could go to wiki.sjtag.org. There is a documentation section. I put up a couple of documents that are not well populated to show what can be done. There are two versions of Volume 1. One has sections on separate pages and the other has everything on a single page. To edit the pages you need to log in to the site. At the back of the pages is discussion pages that could be collected to be reviewed latter. I am not sure what is the better version right now. Probably the entire document is easier to read. There was some discussion between Brad and me regarding tracking changes. The wiki site provides some level of tracking. I have an example of some minutes on the wiki to show how the comparison works. Once a document is complete it can be protected/locked so others cannot change it.
      • [Carl W.] Does this have a clean way to extract the contents into some other form of editor.
      • [Ian] I took this wiki from an OpenOffice originally.
      • [Carl W.] Do you lose the formatting when extracting the contents?
      • [Ian] The formatting on the page shows double equals for headings, for example, so it would be easy to identify where to convert text to heading formats.
      • [Peter] I could edit the wiki without logging in and there is a wiki publisher too?
      • [Ian] I will take a look at that and fix it.
      • [Peter] There are several plugins for OpenOffice that might help. One allows you to publish wiki sites. The other allows for collaboration on documents. I will send out the links to both plugins.
      • [Brad] PC World is talking about some free collaboration sites.
      • [Tim] With the wiki, do you need a new login or can you use the sjtag.org login?
      • [Ian] You need to create a new login.
      • [Brad] My opinion is the version with the entire document works best.
      • [Ian] Having the contents up front makes it easier to browse.
      • [Heiko] Is there a version that provides a print version on the wiki?
      • [Ian] If you do the print preview you should get just the content without all the menus.

 

    1. Review the various outlines for each assigned section
      • Volume 1 - Introduction Outline:
      • [Ian] I think the changes you added focus quite a bit into the telecom industry. I am concerned that people will think SJTAG is a telecom only standard.
      • [Brad] I did not change much from original.
      • [Ian] The new version is on the sjtag.org site and can be pulled from the file manager.
      • [Brad] The outline may be found on the wiki as volume 1. I added STAPL to section 1.5.2.
      • [Ian] I think we should also add SVF.
      • [Brad] HSDL may be another de facto standard to add.
      • [Brad] I also added the text of my Purpose and Scope drafts I had written as a baseline for the PAR to the appropriate sections. I also added an STAG Background as section 1.3.2.
      • [Brad] Now that people have read the wiki, are there any comments.
      • [Heiko] Looks good to me.
      • [Tim] Where are the abbreviations and glossary located for this document?
      • [Ian] That is a good question, where would you like it?
      • [Carl W.] This is the problem we had with the hardware section. We started with the 1687 hardware description that contains abbreviations. It is hard to replicate this everywhere.
      • [Brad] Ian, do you think we should carve out a separate document to contain the abbreviations and glossary.
      • [Ian] It would certainly be easier on the wiki. For OpenOffice versions this might be difficult.
      • [Carl W.] I think this would definitely force consistency.
      • [Ian] This may be a good place to capture references as well.
      • Volume 3 – Hardware Architecture
      • [Carl W.] We have an OpenOffice version. Should I send it to the group?
      • [Ian] Why don’t you send it to me and I will post it now on the file manager.
      • [Tim] Is this the process we should be using in the future to let Ian be the file manager keeper?
      • [Ian] You can do this yourself. Heiko has been successful with it.
      • [Tim] Are we able to import a document directly to the wiki?
      • [Ian] The wiki is a text content viewer. You cannot import an OpenOffice document to the wiki directly. The wiki would be used to capture the text and you could link in graphic images. You could then port the wiki to an OpenOffice document once you have the text you are comfortable with.
      • [Some assistance in accessing the file manager]
      • [Carl W.] I think the wiki is a good tool to be able to collaborate. We use it quite a bit for my group access.
      • [All] The wiki seems to be a good a good mechanism that is easier to use than the OpenOffice and file manager combination to collaborate with. We could then collaborate during the conference calls as well.
      • [Carl W.] This document is based on the 1687 hardware architecture document.
      • [Ian] It gives us a good basis for the outline.
      • [Carl W.] Some of the work might not translate directly to the wiki.
      • [Carl W.] How many have looked at the 1687 document? It is about 60 pages.
      • [Brad] I think it will give us a framework to show how to represent our information.
      • [Ian] I think discussions on all these sections is important to make sure we know what others are already addressing.
      • [Carl W.] This is where I think the wiki is the best tool for this effort.
      • Volume 2 – Use Cases:
      • [Heiko] I have posted something on the wiki. It basically is the outline that Ian was proposing on the forum originally. I want to note that there are a couple of use cases which we did not complete our discussions on that need to be completed before we can complete this document. There is no content behind each of these items as this is just an outline.
      • Formatting and Style:
      • [Ian] The wiki by its nature forces a style because of its limits. Once we have to provide a printable format, we can worry about that then.
      • [Carl W.] One caution, a print preview shows we have to be cautious about image sizes because they are getting truncated.
      • [Ian] If we reformat our pictures to 800 pixels wide for now. We can always provide higher resolution images when we publish the OpenOffice document.

 

    1. Discuss the document tracking policy
      • Already covered during the discussion for 4b.

 

  1. Discuss the formatting for the papers
    • The wiki process will force a particular format and style for now. We will address the more formal formatting issues later when we have to produce printable OpenOffice/PDF documents.

5. Schedule next meetings:

Monday, June 23rd, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Monday, June 30th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Monday, July 7th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Monday, July 28th, 2008, 8:15am EDT

6. Any other business

7. Review new action items

  • Familiarize ourselves with the wiki
  • Add content to the documents
  • Carl W. suggests we look at the P1687 hardware specification document to understand what they did before reading the proposed SJTAG hardware document.

8. Adjourned at 9:26am EDT

(moved by Carl W., second by Ian)

I want to thank Peter and Heiko for assisting on the note taking today.

Respectfully submitted,
Brad