Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2008-06-23

Meeting was called to order at 8:22am EDT

1. Roll Call (Participants):

Brad Van Treuren
Ian McIntosh
Carl Walker
Heiko Ehrenberg
Carl Nielsen
Tim Pender

[Peter: excused absence]

2. Review and approve minutes

6/16/2008 minutes approved (Heiko moved, Ian second)

3. Review old action items:

  • Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Establish whether TRST needs to be addressed as requirements in the ATCA specification if it is not going to be managed globally (All)
  • Register on new SJTAG web site (http://www.sjtag.org) (All)
  • All need to check and add any missing Doc's to the site (All)
  • Respond to Brad and Ian with suggestions for static web site structure (Brad suggests we model the site after an existing IEEE web site to ease migration of tooling later) (All)
  • Look at proposed scope and purpose from ITC 2006 presentation and propose scope and purpose for ATCA activity group (All)
  • Look at use cases and capture alternatives used to perform similar functions to better capture value add for SJTAG (All)
  • Volunteers needed for Use Case Forum ownership (All)
  • Continue Fault Injection/Insertion discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • Continue Structural Test use case discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • We will need to begin writing a white paper for the System JTAG use cases to provide to the ATCA working group (All)
    Most likely, champions will own their subject section and draft the section with help from others. This paper will be based on the paper Gunnar Carlsson started in 2005.
  • All: review how to use the forum
  • Locate ATCA glossary of board and system states (Adam, Brad)
  • Continue POST use case discussion on SJTAG Forum page (All)
  • Adam review ATCA standard document for FRU's states
  • all send out bullet lists of key topics for the future discussions
  • all to think about what the hierarchy should look like and what topics should be discussed in the separate documents; submit comments and suggestions prior to next meeting;
  • Ian and Brad work on the Introduction outline
  • Carl N. and Carl W. work on the hardware architecture outline
  • Heiko and Peter work on the use case outline
  • Look at the formatting issues next week (All)

4. Discussion Topics

  1. Brief status on document progress:
    • Volume 1 - Introduction Outline:
    • [Brad] I hadn't had a chance to add anything to Volume 1
    • [Ian] I added a page for abbreviations
       
    • Volume 2 – Use Cases:
    • [Heiko] I wasn't able to add any to the Volume 2 outline or to add any contents
       
    • Volume 3 – Hardware Architecture
    • [Carl W.] I've not made any additions to Volume 3, but we did some research
       
    • [Brad] do people feel uncomfortable with the website technology or is time an issue or what are the reasons that communications / progress seem to stagnate on the Forum, for example?
    • [Heiko] for me it is a time issue
    • [Carl W.] for me it is a problem of time, especially last week
    • [Carl N.] I'm new to standard working groups and I try to take in as much information and learn as much as possible about the process; I think the website features Ian set up are great tools for what we are trying to do; I just need to schedule some extra time to add contents and work on the white paper volume that was assigned to me;
    • [Carl W.] scheduling it will be the only way for me to find time to work on this, too;
  2. SJTAG Survey Brainstorm - "drop-down-lists" especially
    • [Ian] If people have access to the web site, I have created a Posting about the survey as a new forum. Go to sjtag.org forums, log in, and go to working group tools page. Go to the user survey link.
    • [Ian] the lists as they stand now are just my thoughts, but I feel that there may be some things missing
    • [Brad] my biggest concern that there may be overlap and that people may want to select more than one entry. More than just single selection is needed. Need some canned items and the ability to show more detail. Prioritized list?
    • [Ian] I think I can work on that. Prioritizing might be the solution.
    • [Carl W.] maybe checkboxes would work better
    • [Tim] I think "reuse" would be another objective that should be included
    • [Brad] one way to prompt more feedback would be to ask everybody to respond to Ian why they joined the SJTAG group (what they want to get out of this); let's make this an action item;
    • [Ian] People are coming from different backgrounds. Hardware guys might be coming with reuse as a reuse of a design, where managers might just look at it as reusing the technology.
    • [Tim] In-System programming could probably be covered in life cycle support.
    • [Ian] It is a part of life cycle support.
    • [Ian] People can think about this and report back to me by Wednesday. I would like to wrap up the survey by the end of the week.
  3. Copyright question (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?t=68)
    • [Brad] Someone has requested to use information from the web site
    • [Brad] I think we need to ensure there is a posting that the work is in progress.
    • [Ian] Concern with information provided by various companies unless they were truly donated.
    • [Brad] I will request of this individual specifically what they are intending to reuse so we can ensure only information we own is being given as release and that only information that is mature is cited as something showing the direction of the group. In other words having a disclaimer that information may change.
    • [Brad, Ian] we need to make sure we don't give rights away that we don't own; also, we need to state that this is work in process and we may change contents or our opinions over time (disclaimer)
  4. Discussion of remaining Use Cases
    • next meeting

5. Schedule next meetings:

Monday, June 30th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Monday, July 7th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008, 8:15am EDT
Monday, July 28th, 2008, 8:15am EDT

6. Any other business

July dates are provisional.

7. Review new action items

  • ALL to respond to Ian why they joined the SJTAG group (what they want to get out of this); preferably added to forum topic "Working Group Tools » User Survey" (http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?t=69)
  • review Privacy and Disclaimer pages on Wiki, use respective discussion tabs to provide feedback

8. Adjourned at 9:21am EDT (moved by Ian, second by Heiko)

Heiko assisted with most of today's minutes. Thanks, Heiko!

Respectfully submitted,
Brad