Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2009-07-20

Meeting called to order at 10:37 AM EDT

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh
Patrick Au
Brad Van Treuren
Adam Ley
Tim Pender
Heiko Ehrenberg

Excused:
Eric Cormack
Peter Horwood
Carl Walker

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

7/13/2009 minutes:

  • Draft circulated on 13th July:
  • One correction: Amend comment in 4c from "... nest time" to "... next time".

Insufficient attendees to vote on approval.

3. Review old action items

  • Adam proposed we cover the following at the next meeting:
    • Establish consensus on goals and constraints
    • What are we trying to achieve?
    • What restrictions are we faced with?
  • Establish whether TRST needs to be addressed as requirements in the ATCA specification if it is not going to be managed globally (All)
  • Adam review ATCA standard document for FRU's states
  • Patrick contact Cadence for EDA support person.
  • All to consider what data items are missing from Data Elements diagram
  • All: do we feel SJTAG is requiring a new test language to obtain the information needed for diagnostics or is STAPL/SVF sufficient? see also Gunnar's presentation, in particular the new information he'd be looking for in a test language (http://files.sjtag.org/Ericsson-Nov2006/STAPL-Ideas.pdf)
  • Carl W/Andrew: Set up conference call to organise review of Vol. 3 - Ongoing
  • Andrew: Make contact with VXI Consortium/Charles Greenberg. - CANCELLED
  • Ian/Brad: Draft "straw man" Volume 4 for review - Ongoing
  • All: Review "Role of Languages" in White Paper Volume 4 - Ongoing
  • Harrison: Virtual system exploiting Configuration/Tuning/Instrumentation and Root Cause Analysis/Failure Mode Analysis Use Cases. - Ongoing
  • Brad: Virtual system exploiting POST and BIST Use Cases. - Ongoing.
  • Ian: Virtual system exploiting Environmental Stress Test Use Cases. - Ongoing
  • Ian/Brad: Construct new question(s) for row 21 based on Brad's previous graphic. - Ongoing.
  • Brad: Propose merge of survey questions 5.2 and 5.3; post on forums. (see discussion below) - COMPLETE
  • All: Trial survey form and provide comments through forums (replaces previous action to review draft survey form). - Ongoing.
  • [Ian] I haven't seen any sign of anyone testing out the survey yet. I'll just encourage people to at least try out part of the form.
  • [Ian] Brad's action was to merge questions 5.2 and 5.3, but we've actually got a proposal for 5 new questions on the forums.
  • [Brad] Yes. Once the questions were merged, the answer list got so large I thought users would have difficulty following it, so I started looking at the responses to see if they could be reclassified into smaller questions, focussing on specific domains.
  • [Brad] We now have questions for single-board, multi-board, configuration, management and embedded issues.
  • [Ian] It seems like a good set of questions. When I read the second question, though, I keep feeling we're missing something. Are tests over a backplane or cable the only items here?
  • [Brad] The cable is really still a backplane, but in a harness.
  • [Brad] I was wondering where we could fit in things like concurrency, for example something like a SERDES test between boards.
  • [Ian] And that need not be through the backplane. We will sometimes test the external interfaces and wiring to the box external connectors using a loopback cable.
  • [Brad] We've done the same for EST, lab testing and some limited production testing. Not for use in the field though.
  • [Brad] Adam may remember something on this: In µTCA there was JTAG into things like fan controllers?
  • [Adam] That's correct. In µTCA you could access the fan controller through the JTAG Switch Module. Keep in mind that the JSM is a "3rd party", neither integral to the UUT nor integral to the JTAG controller. It's not multidrop in the conventional sense.
  • [Tim] Could you use that to switch off the fans and cause a temperature fault?
  • [Brad] You can set the temperature where the fan speed will ramp up.
  • [Adam] Entities in µTCA attached to the backplane are generally in the AMC form factor, but other modules in box such as power modules or thermal management modules aren't AMC. It was envisaged that the JSM would provide JTAG access to all the modules.
  • [Brad] The JSM in µTCA is not dependant on a particular protocol. It's a good example for us of standardizing without mandating a particular design.
  • [Ian] OK, that sounds like we've got some more material there. I'll update the form this week to include the new questions. {ACTION}
     
  • [Ian] We haven't been able to follow up on re-establishing contact with the VXI group. Is this something we need to pursue?
  • [Brad] I've not seen any news on new VXI releases either.
  • [Tim] Perhaps we could include some of the VXI people on the survey; that might get them in touch if they need something?
  • [Ian] That's a good idea. Brad, do you have the original contact?
  • [Brad] I'll look it out and mail it to you.
  • [Ian] I think at this point I'd like to cancel the action.
  • [Brad] They haven't followed up in a year so it seems a bit dead to me.
  • [Ian] Any objection to cancelling the action?
  • {silence}
  • [Ian] OK, I'll cancel it.

4. Discussion Topics

  1. Proposal for supplementary meetings
    • [Ian] It's unfortunate Carl isn't on the call. I'd like to know if the Cisco WebEx would be available if we were to convene a second meeting each week.
    • [Ian] I know I couldn't manage a second meeting this week.
    • [Brad] I'm in the same position this week.
    • [Ian] What's the general opinion here? Heiko and Tim weren't on last week's call; what do they think?
    • [Heiko] I guess it would be worth trying an additional meeting to see if we can get more done than with only one meeting per week.
    • [Tim] How would attendance work with two meetings?
    • [Ian] Adam proposed that the meetings are two sessions of the same meeting, so attending either would count as your attendance for the week for roster purposes.
    • [Tim] We could just try it and see where it takes us.
    • [Ian] Given the fact that we have fewer people on the call today, I feel that it may be better to vote on this by email.
    • [Patrick] Why don't we just wait until September when most holidays will be past?
    • [Ian] It's just a matter of elapsed time; trying to move ourselves nearer to submitting the PAR.
    • [Brad] Since attendance seems to be lower recently, due to summer vacation time, perhaps we should postpone this and review setting up two meetings at the end of summer.
    • {Brad moved to table discussion on a second meeting until late August, Heiko seconded. No objections -> motion carried}
    • [Ian] We'll take up this topic again at the end of the summer.
  2. White Paper Review:
    • Root Cause Analysis/Failure Mode Analysis
    • [Ian] Looking at the existing text on the wiki, I'd say the first paragraph has some elements of Application Fields, but looks more like it should stay as the introduction.
    • [Brad] I'd agree. Application Fields needs more detail than we have with this paragraph.
    • [Ian] Second paragraph looks to belong in the Detailed Description.
    • [Brad] The third paragraph needs the wording tidied a little but should go into Application Fields. It's an example on the use of SAMPLE.
    • [Ian] The next block, with the list is also Application Fields.
    • [Brad] I think it goes to the top of Application Fields the SAMPLE section below it.
    • [Ian] The next paragraph starts to read like it's Tooling but comes across more as the shortfalls of current tooling.
    • [Brad] I'm not sure it's even accurate. We need something on the tooling that is available now and what will come available with things like P1687.
    • [Ian] The last paragraph, with a bit of adjustment probably concludes the Detailed Description. It should probably refer to "high availability systems" rather than "highly reliable systems".
    • [Brad] Alternative Techniques will include functional registers read by software.
    • [Ian] Yes, I recognise that.
    • [Brad] Also, periodic functional tests.
    • [Brad] Should we mention the sampling vehicles within devices? AMD or Intel parts with temperature sensors inside. It's a pity Carl isn't on the call, as someone from Cisco at ITC talked about sending defect data back to the device vendors even before the board was pulled. It's making use of the environmental cues within the circuit.
    • [Brad] The Value Proposition here is the shorter turn round time on the solution. Then there's trending; changing the mind set on data collecting to see things that you'd otherwise overlook.
    • [Ian] Yes, I was just remembering that we recently saw a failure trend on a specific part. We had to use a thermal imaging camera to identify that an area of the silicon was being stressed, and that led us to finding a design error adjacent to the chip.
    • [Brad] That's pretty much what the case was in the Cisco example.
    • [Ian] Do we have Consequences or is there no downside?
    • [Brad] The major consequence will be the need for more storage on the board. That then gets you into the question of format, and then do you make the data accessible with power off.
    • [Ian] We're about out of time for today. Heiko, were you able to follow all this?
    • [Heiko] I made changes to the Wiki as we went along with the discussion, but some rewording and additional text are still needed. {ACTION}

5. Schedule next meeting

Schedule for July 2009:
Monday July 27, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT

Schedule for August 2009:
Monday August 3, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT
Monday August 10, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT
Monday August 17, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT
Monday August 24, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT
Monday August 31, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT (provisional)

Expected absences: Ian, 10th; Patrick, 17th; Heiko, 17th and 24th.
August 31st is a UK Bank Holiday.

6. Any other business

None.

7. Review new action items

  • Ian: Update survey form to include Brad's new questions for Section 5.
  • Heiko: Continue update of wiki for Root Cause Analysis.

8. Adjourn

Heiko moved to adjourn at 11:37 AM EDT, seconded by Patrick.

Thanks to Heiko for helping with the notes this week.

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh