Print

Minutes of Weekly Meeting, 2010-10-25

Meeting called to order: 10:37 AM EDT

1. Roll Call

Carl Walker
Ian McIntosh
Brad Van Treuren
Patrick Au (left 10:57)
Tim Pender
Heiko Ehrenberg
Adam Ley (joined 10:35)

Excused:
Peter Horwood

2. Review and approve previous minutes:

10/18/2010 minutes:

3. Review old action items

4. Discussion Topics

  1. ITC - Fringe Meeting, Poster
    • [Ian] I think I'll skip past the Fringe Meeting just now.
    • [Ian] We've got confirmation that it'll be a half-table and half poster board, which means 48" by 46".
    • [Ian] What I'm planning to do, thinking about the logistics of getting material to Austin, is to use a 3x4 grid of A3 sheets and stitch them together on-site. I hope I can let you see I'm thinking of here.
    • {ITC_2010_Poster.ppt shared, in slide sorter view}
    • [Ian] The idea was to have headings along the top, some text bullets down the middle, then have graphics from the Building Blocks flow round the outside.
    • [Brad] Is #8 intentionally blank?
    • [Ian] Sort of. I haven't got round to filling that one yet!
    • [Patrick] Can you zoom in a bit?
    • [Ian] In a moment, I need to keep this zoom just now or it'll break the 3x4 layout.
    • [Ian] Down the right side there are couple of slides showing the more physical board and system structures. Down the left and along the bottom are the primitives building up to a linker with I2C control, to show that other buses could be involved.
    • [Tim] Maybe on the logo you could add URLs for the wiki or the website? Or on the second slide that just has the text?
    • [Ian] Yes, that's possible. Do we agree that's a good idea?
    • [Brad] I think so.
    • [Brad] I think there may be a better slide to use instead of #6 - yes, it was #13 in my version 6 slides.
    • [Ian] OK.
    • [Brad] Maybe we can use a new slide that shows all the topologies we list, Ring, Star, Switched Star and Multi drop? Just the graphics along with the name, remove all the other text. Would that be readable? Slides 21 to 25. It'll help to give an appreciation of the topologies that we need to consider.
    • [Ian] Possibly, these will be big sheets of paper so the images should be reasonably big. And we can always spread them on to the blank slide.
    • [Brad] Keep Multidrop as the last one.
    • [Brad] The last slide, with I2C on it looks a bit out of place where it is.
    • [Ian] Possibly having the white box on it makes it look worse.
    • [Brad] Yes, make it amber.
    • [Tim] Wasn't amber for primitives?
    • [Brad] Well, this is a kind of primitive.
    • {Several slides repositioned}
    • [Tim] Can we put a frame of some sort around things, to make the groupings more obvious.
    • [Ian] Something like that should be possible.
    • [Brad] Maybe using a very pale background colour.
    • [Tim] Or a coloured border.
    • [Brad] If the printer can print right to the edges; many can't.
    • [Brad] Can we include the graphic from my slide 9 on the left side of slide 3 here, to show the change from static paths to dynamic paths?
    • [Ian] OK, that's my slide 22 just now.
    • [Brad] They don't really need the text, just the titles. When I did the poster I had mostly graphics that I could point to and choose what I wanted to talk about.
    • [Ian] I've yet to test printing PowerPoint slides on A3 paper.
    • [Brad] OK, that puts the Fringe Meeting notice as the last thing people see.
    • [Ian] And that brings us round full circle in a way. I've included a draft agenda here: Status, some of the survey results we'd like to explore, then get some comments on user experiences of trying to use JTAG.
    • [Brad] Might want to change 'Strange' to 'shocking' or 'unexpected'. Well, 'shocking' is maybe too strong, but 'strange' has a kind of negative connotation.
    • [Ian] Yes, 'unexpected' will do. I did this in a bit of a rush and just wanted to get something down.
    • [Ian] Anything else?
    • [Brad] As part of the status will you be mentioning the wiki white paper?
    • [Ian] Yes, I will.
    • [Tim] Maybe on that slide you should be pointing out that there could be other things than I2C? In case people think that we're providing support for I2C specifically.
    • [Brad] Yeah, slide 37 in my V6 is possibly a better one to use: It has the Hosting TAP Interface in a dotted box and just a 'simple bus'.
    • [Ian] OK. I don't seem to have that in the version I have here. I'll need to look that out later, but I'll swap it in.
    • [Tim] Do you want have something to show proposed support for hierarchical features?
    • [Ian] I think that's already implied by slide 3.
    • [Brad] Yes, that the other reason I preferred that slide to the original one. And the idea is carried on through 6 and 9.
    • [Tim] OK, but I meant where the secondary side has another linker. Is it maybe too early to bring that in?
    • [Ian] I don't we've got that far really.
    • [Tim] Will there be handouts?
    • [Ian] I was planning to have some of the trifold leaflets available. Brad, how many did you give out in 2008?
    • [Brad] Maybe 10 or so, but people didn't really want to carry anything. I told people they could go to the website and print one themselves, so most chose that option. And it's useful that the website has US and European versions to download.
    • [Ian] OK, are we happy with this now?
    • [Tim] Looks good.
    • [Ian] I'll just have to do some tidying up on my own; we won't have a chance for a further review before next Tuesday. {ACTION}
  2. White Paper Volume 3 - Key Gateway Features:
    • {Not discussed due to lack of time}
    • [Ian] We'll need to return to this, but todays discussion has maybe reintroduced the building blocks slides. When I looked at these recently, I realised that we'd actually taken these further than I remembered. Possibly some of the more recent discussions might have taken us backwards. Anyway, if people can take a chance to dip back into these slides it might prepare us for the next regular meeting.

5. Schedule next meeting

Fringe Meeting: November 4th
Regular Meeting: November 15th

Schedule for November 2010:
22nd
29th

6. Any other business

The motion on signal naming conventions from the meeting of May 3rd remains tabled.

7. Review new action items

8. Adjourn

Tim moved to adjourn at 11:44 AM EDT, seconded by Brad.

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh