Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.27, 2019-07-22

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_27.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Rakesh Kumar (Ampere Computing)
Adam W. Ley (ASSET InterTech)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors) (joined 11:36)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Jon Stewart (Dell)

2. Agenda

Eric moved to accept the agenda as proposed, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #26, July 15 (draft circulated July 15)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Business case for STAM

  • {Slide 12}
  • By email, Peter had queried if the "Transform Engine" was something in hardware or running on a processor embedded in the system. It is most likely in hardware but this is not specified and so could be on processor core with firmware.  Everything from the Client Interface and to the right of it is considered to be P1687.1.
  • Brad prepared a copy of last week's annotated slides to mark up during the call.
  • We haven't yet captured comments from last meeting on the "depth" of the API, whether it provides high level functions.  The API probably has distinct "interfaces" for it's left and right sides.
  • Is the "Application" here meant to be a customer facing application? It could be but it is really a general term for the top level control. There could be applications that call lower level applications to perform certain functions.
  • The "Layers of Software slide was retrieved from the BTW2014 pack: http://files.sjtag.org/BTW2014/Test_Managers_and_Controllers.pdf. The green layers are interfaces where standardisation could occur so could be APIs.
  • What is retargeting expected to do? Retarget the "access" or retarget the PDL? It probably needs to retarget the access. If the retargeting provides a Go/NoGo response that may not be sufficient, you may need a value returned. This affects what you are retargeting.
  • You shouldn't need to build up the whole system in order to test it, you should be able to test incrementally as you integrate the parts.
  • Is STAM requiring something specific of the Client Interface or just accepting what is provided? We at least need to know what is provided.  The maybe needs to be some minimum feature set for it be STAM compliant, but we'd still like to be use, in some capacity, interfaces that aren't compliant - STAM compliant vs STAM compatible.
  • An interface should acknowledge receipt of a command, perhaps run a test in response to a command. This would require a proxy/agent in the UUT/target assembly to process the command so is more likely to be suited to a board than a device.
  • Refer to this slide pack for the remaining points from the call: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/Identified_Issues_20190722.pdf.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • Green lines from "Layers of Software" slide may be considered for API boundaries.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • July 29, 2019
    • Ian may be out.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Business case for STAM:
    • Discussion of diagrams (continued - What is to be handed off?)
    • Business Case

12. Reminders

  • Brad will provide Louis with a "refresher" on diagram(s) in advance of presentation.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:03 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh