Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.28, 2019-07-29

Meeting called to order: 11:04 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_28.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions) (joined 11:10)
Brad Van Treuren (No affiliation)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Peter Horwood (Firecron Ltd.)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)

2. Agenda

Incorrect date noted for review of minutes in the proposed agenda.

Eric moved to accept the agenda as amended, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #27, July 22 (draft circulated July 22)
    • No corrections.
    • Eric moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Business case for STAM

  • {Slide 12}
  • Revisited the iBind slides by Jeff Rearick (see P2654 WG Minutes - 2019-07-15) as a reminder of where the current slides came from. Noted that these described three Use Cases and these are not the same as Business Cases.
  • Commented that the arrow from Retargeter to Stored iProcs may become double headed for the embedded dynamic case. Should it not go between the application and the retargeter? Concept is for pre-targeted code that can accept parameters (like library calls).
  • Added Jeff's original slide to our pack as a reference for future use.
  • Updated pack: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/Identified%20Issues%2020190729.pptx

AutoTestCon slides, STAM Generalized Bridge Model

  • Draft slide pack shared: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/Autotestcon_20190729.pdf
  • Existing standards detail neither what is to the left nor what is to the right of the 1687 box - These are the interfaces than STAM can help with.  These interfaces would provide a software API to either side.
  • Isn't it confusing to have a client on both the left side and the right side? Each interface comprises a client and a host so each client has to be associated with a host (not every interface has master and a slave).
  • Concern that some of the text will be too small to be legible - maybe show a larger view of the 1687 box first to introduce it.
  • Surely the LHS needs to do something for the RHS to know it needs to make a request, rather than the request seemingly originating from the instrument?
  • Although the slide refers to a JTAG to I2C bridge, either of the interfaces could be anything.
  • SCL and SDAlines are shown running between the I2C Host pins and the I2C Host Interface. Really the I2C Host Interface spans the signal lines and the Host pins, and butts up to the downstream I2C Client Interface.
  • Master/Slave, Host/Client, Upstream/Downstream - can these be merged to simplify terminology? Possibly, but we maybe don't know yet.
  • Are we missing some kind of high-level overview? Audience may struggle to follow this. Confusion might arise because this is describing how the transforms are evaluated (bottom-up) while there's an application flow that runs top-down. People are maybe more likely to relate to latter so it should maybe be presented first to lead people in.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting

10. Schedule next meeting

  • August 5, 2019
    • Richard out for next three weeks.
    • Ian may be out August 12.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Business case for STAM:
    • Tool vendors' likely use of the model.
    • (Use retargeters from e.g. Mentor or write their own)

12. Reminders

  • Brad will provide Louis with a "refresher" on diagram(s) in advance of presentation.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Eric.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:08 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh