Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.42, 2019-11-11

Meeting called to order: 11:11 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_42.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-9}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 10}
  • Meeting #41, November 4 (updated draft circulated November 6)
    • No further corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 11}
  • [29.1] Terry to update Glossary (Due in two weeks).
    • Ongoing.
  • [38.1] Brad: Email brief instruction on using the simulation tool
    • Ongoing.
  • [40.1] Ian: Update poster with text amendments.
    • Updated poster (version 8) circulated to group on November 4. Complete.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Tutorial on posting articles on the website

  • {Slides 12}
  • Ian demonstrated editing and posting on the main website, using posting of minutes as an example.
  • The following notes on this demonstration have been supplied by Brad:
    • DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED IF YOU SEE "Internal Server Error." Usually, this is the Database server lost connection with web server.  It will come back to life generally within 30 minutes.
    • Open sjtag.org
    • Click on Members menu button to enable login pane in upper right corner of page
    • Log into the web server
    • To create new minutes, click on Minutes menu button and select New button at bottom of next page
    • To use previous minutes as a template, open a second tab from Minutes page that selects the previous minutes text in Edit mode (see pencil at right of link)
    • Copy title of previous minutes - less the date to use as format for new minutes
    • Paste old title into new minutes pane as title and add the date in same format
      [It is important to make sure the title is spelled correctly with correct format as this becomes the key for the link in the database]
    • Select the Publishing tab on new minutes page
    • Change Category to "P2654 WG Minutes <YYYY>"
    • Change Status from Published to Unpublished
    • Go to old minutes and click on "Toggle Editor" button to change to HTML mode
    • Select all (^A) and copy text (^C) from old minutes as new template text
    • Click on "Toggle Editor" button in new minutes window
    • Paste (^V) content into the edit window of the new minutes
      [Need to use HTML format copy to preserve the URL link color behavior for new and visited.  Otherwise, it will preserve the new link color always.]
    • Right click on any links to edit their reference and text
    • For lists like attendees you need to use Shift-Newline combination to  create a new line in the list [If you simply use Newline then a new paragraph will be assumed and additional space inserted]
    • When copying from a formatted document, like a Word file, paste the text into the minutes editor using the Edit menu at the top and select "Paste as text" mode.
    • IMPORTANT!: Periodically save your edits to a separate text file making a copy of the HTML version of the edit window (Toggle Editor button to switch to HTML edit mode).  Once in HTML mode use ^A to select all text and ^C to copy the selected text.
    • Green Papers are published as News articles via the News button at top of page
    • Green Papers need to have the "Green Papers" tag added to their category
    • Look at a previously published article as a template for publishing a new article.
    • Remember to paste with "Paste as text" Edit feature when copying text from a Word document or else the format from the Word document will be hard copied to the article and will require edit of the HTML.
  • Keyboard shortcuts used above:
    • ^A = Control Key + A Key
    • ^C = Control Key + C Key
    • ^V = Control Key + V Key
  • The above is quite different to editing in the wiki which has simpler editing tools and uses the same markup format as Wikipedia.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1838 (3D DFT) has been approved, so the 'P' prefix is now dropped.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • November 18, 2019

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Review of ITC
  • Commentary on TTSC meeting.

12. Reminders

  • TTSC Meeting is tomorrow, 12th.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:05 PM EST

Thanks to Brad for additional notes.
Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh