Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.49, 2020-01-13

Meeting called to order: 11:04 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_49.pdf

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics) (joined 11:08)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (Arm)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Naveen Srivastava (Nvidia)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)


2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed.
    • Question raised whether Philips/NXP rights over I2C were of concern to us. Believed not be an issue as we simply reference the interface and are not attempting to define or implement it. Patents have expired on the slower versions.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #48, January 6 (draft circulated January 6)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Eric moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
  • [29.1] Terry to update Glossary (Due in two weeks).
    • Ongoing.
  • [38.1] Brad: Email brief instruction on using the simulation tool
    • Some Verilog collected from OpenCores that should permit creating a JTAG to I2C bridge.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Discussion Topics

6 a) Sketch out an outline of the draft

  • {Slide 13}
  • Bullet points recorded during the previous meetings are retained in this pack for reference {slides 15-27}. These should be moved to a separate reference file.
  • The structure was expanded from last weeks' initial headings {slides 28 - 31} taking many of the main headings from the 1149.7 standard.
  • Section 4 should introduce concepts in a "light" form, and subsequent sections can then develop those ideas fully.
  • The notion of a software model needs to be brought in very early on.
  • "Impediments" may be brought up when rules of the standard are discussed rather than being a distinct section. Similarly, "Education" is not intended to be a topic, rather it is just a reminder that there are concepts that will be unfamiliar to many readers, so the standard should not assume knowledge of those.
  • "Advanced Concepts" can include things like System Message/Capability Query exchanges. 
  • Forum thread for comments on the outline: http://forums.sjtag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=1444#p1444

6 b) Define one or two Use Cases we can use for prototyping

  • Some additions made {slide 32} made to the list of use cases drafted last week, including a JTAG to I2C bridge as that provides a protocol-to-protocol transformation to be modelled.
  • Intent is to work on these via a Tiger Team. Ideally participants should be able to work with MyHDL (or VHDL, Verilog) and be able to search out OpenCore logic. May benefit from some input from end-user perspectives.
  • Concern that the number of use cases may be growing too large - first task of the Tiger Team will be to prioritise the Use Cases.

7. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 14}
  • From TTSC meeting:
    • A number of standards have either started a review cycle or will be doing so shortly.  This may give opportunities for further collaboration.
    • From the P1687.1 call it was reported that a possible area of commonality between that work and ours had been identified. Possibly that could be broken out as a standards effort in its own right and to which both P1687.1 and P2654 could refer to avoid overlap in the standards.
    • Items such as above have typically been reported under AOB. Ian will add an agenda item so that there is a regular place to record collaboration or points of interest from other groups.

8. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

9. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting
    • ATCA, IPMI, REST RWS, SMBUS, PMBUS, MDIO, ISP.
    • LRU and SRA.

10. Schedule next meeting

  • January 20, 2020.
    • Martin Luther King Day but attendance is not heavily affected. Bill will be out.

11. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue on outline of the draft.

12. Reminders

  • None.

13. List New Action Items

  • None.

14. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brad.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:02 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh