Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.81, 2020-10-05

Meeting called to order: 11:10 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_81.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Joel, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed. 

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #80, September 28 (updated draft circulated October 2)
    • No further corrections advised.
    • Terry moved to approve, Heiko seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • None to report.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Alternative Use Cases

  • {Slide 14}
  • Expanded on slides 42 and 43.
  • Ethernet TCP/IP may be going too far but could be a valid example for systems/sub-systems.
  • Louis noted that Michele's paper on Automated Test Flow may be relevant. Michele has a class at the time of our meeting so cannot normally join but is giving a presentation to P1687.1 on this in the near future - invitations could perhaps be extended for our members to join that call (likely a Tuesday in the 11:30-12:30 Eastern slot).
  • SM-BUS over I2C is good case but the hope would be to have not just a protocol but also a target. Baseboard Management Controller may be an example.
  • OpenCores has RTL for an SPI to I2C bridge and anther bridge option is Brad's JTAG to I2C RTL. 
  • I2C to bit-bang of a 1687 network.
  • Need to be cautious about not creating a lot of work and losing sight of preparing the standard document itself.  However these examples do not necessarily need to be worked through: They are examples to use as benchmarks to see if they can be described by what we propose.
  • Standard may need to describe:
    • Topographical relationship between hierarchical layers
    • Description of algorithm to be applied at each Node
    • Description of common elements for an Assembly
  • Unclear if these are descriptions that need to reside within the standard or are definitions of the required content of descriptions that are provided from elsewhere, e.g. as part of the design data.  Brad endeavoured to illustrate further but was unable to readily access the relevant material.

7 b) Q&A on Messaging Demo

  • Brad ran through some of the slides {WIP:slides 9-23} in the pack previously shared with P1687.1 and referenced in the notes from the previous meeting (http://files.sjtag.org/Brad/P2654Model_overview.pptx). Those meeting notes provide additional commentary, but one of the primary aims was to expand upon the sequence diagrams in order to provide greater insight into the operational intentions and behaviours.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • Use cases are Benchmark Test Cases to be worked through and not necessarily implemented.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • October 12, 2020.
    • Jon and Carl will be out, Louis may be out.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue from today.
    • a) Continue Benchmark Test Cases
    • b) Description examples

13. Reminders

  • Election of WG officers will need to be addressed. Appointment of Elections officers will be put on a future agenda.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:09 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh