Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.82, 2020-10-12

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_82.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments) (left 12:01)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies) (joined 11:16)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

Guests:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE) (left 12:02)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

  • Ian introduced Tom as the IEEE-SA liaison for TTSC, taking over from Soo Kim. 

2. Agenda

  • 7c added, presentation of Jeff Rearick's slides linkage between P1687.1 and P2654
  • Brad moved to accept the agenda as amended, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed. 

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #81, October 5 (draft circulated October 5)
    • No corrections advised.
    • Peter had raised a point by email that implementation of algorithms should permit tool/device vendors to add value and/or protect IP, e.g. by supplying binary libraries. Cautionary note that binary libraries may limit the platforms that can be used.
    • Brian moved to approve, Brad seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • TTSC meeting on Wednesday 28th.
  • P2929 kick-off is on Thursday 15th.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Alternative Use Cases

  • {Slide 14}
  • Refer to  slide 42.
  • Michele has a heavy workload so no presentation to 1687.1 has been set up yet, although Brad is trying to obtain Michele's paper.
  • Added:
    • Black box case
    • Bottom Up
    • Top Down (Query method) - noted that P1687.1 had not considered this approach.

7 b) Description examples

  • Refer to  slide 43.
  • Areas:
    • Topography
    • Algorithms
    • Common - e.g. things like register sizes that will not change across the different instance of the same object. 
  • Brad illustrated a couple of examples of ways to provide descriptions:
    • Using JSON - needed to work round some limitations of the JSON format,
    • Using Domain Specific Language (DSL) - offers more control but represents more work although it could simplify matters for generation within EDA tools.
  • In any case it is a representation of data structures. Could be done in XML but it may become less "human readable".
  • Quick review of Michele's "Simplified ICL Template" (SIT) presentation.

7 c) Jeff Rearick’s P1687.1 alignment presentation

  • Slides are available here: http://files.sjtag.org/Brad/P1687.1_software_standardization_thoughts - 2020-10-06.pptx
  • Notes that both P1687.1 and P2654 are heading towards being essentially "software", so what is that will actually be standardised? e.g. APIs, eBNF for DSL, RVF, remote procedure calls.
  • May break down into four areas:
    • Board/System S/W
    • Board/System H/W
    • Chip S/W
    • Chip H/W
  • Could it be reconciled into 3 areas?:
    • Board/System S/W (P2654 but taking in a bit of the Chip S/W problem space)
    • Board/System H/W (P2654)
    • Chip H/W and remainder of Chip S/W (P1687.1)
  • ran through some of the slides {WIP:slides 9-23} in the pack previously shared with P1687.1 and referenced in the notes from the previous meeting (http://files.sjtag.org/Brad/P2654Model_overview.pptx). Those meeting notes provide additional commentary, but one of the primary aims was to expand upon the sequence diagrams in order to provide greater insight into the operational intentions and behaviours.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • October 19, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue from today:
    • Description examples

13. Reminders

  • Heiko has volunteered to act as one of the elections officers. Ian will contact Adam Ley to have the appointment of elections officers on the TTSC agenda.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Heiko.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:10 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh