Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.95, 2021-02-01

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_95.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:31)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Jon, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #94, January 25 (draft circulated January 25)
    • Date of next meeting should be shown as February 1.
    • Brian moved to approve with the above amendment, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
    • [91.1] Ian: Check with Tom Thompson on using deputies to support Secretary role.
      • Slides used during the meeting are referenced by the minutes and stored on website but don't need to form part of the minutes, provided the minutes contain the minimum information as required by the P&P.
      • Action as written is concluded.  COMPLETE
    • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1581 is looking for participants and a CfP is being issued through IEEE Marketing, expected by middle of next week.
  • P1500 approaching ballot stage, we could expect a call for Ballot Group members quite soon. 

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Secretary Role

  • Still under consideration, hope to conclude this before the TTSC meeting on February 10th.

7 b) Rules: Use of the Descriptions

  • {Slide 14}
  • How would we propose to utilise the descriptions? Do we need to know/define where they come from?
  • The descriptions are what is necessary for flow control.
  • Descriptions might human written or could be machine generated, e.g. by an EDA tool.
  • The perspective will influence the source.
    • Side-discussion: Terms such as "Test Engineer" and "ATE" are overloaded - What and ATE does or what a Test Engineer is expected to know in the context of device/chip test is quite different to what is implied by the same terms for module or system test.
  • Test may need to preserve and restore states (or could go to a known state, possibly through reset).
  • Intent of use has to be conveyed through the application - it can't (usually) be inferred from the design.
  • Dependencies and relationships with other nodes (e.g One-hot, n-Hot-no-zero, etc) - is that perhaps to low-level a detail?
    • As you go deeper in the hierarchy you will need finer-grained detail.
    • Might some of that be a subject for an ad hoc extension rather than part of P2654?
    • In many case you don't have internal details (black box).
    • In a hierarchy, could each level look like a black box to the level above that?
  • Can parts of description be pulled in from other sources?
    • Don't want to be replicating what other standards already offer, e.g. BSDL will tell you how to access a register using 1149.1.
    • OK to complement where the standard doesn't offer the same: e.g. there's no description file that'll tell you how to access a register in the device using I2C other than to read the datasheet. 
  • Further points noted on slides 29-30.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • February 8, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

  • How much transparency do we need at each level?

13. Reminders

  • Reiterate: Michele Portolan has proposed a workshop at ETS 2021 but no offers of contributions so far. Related to a special session of papers to be run by Martin Keim.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh