Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.118, 2021-08-02

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_118.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

Guests:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

2. Agenda

  • Terry moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #117, July 26 (draft circulated July 26)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Brian moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • Clause 7 of P1581 has been identified as needing considerable attention.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Delineation between P2654 and P1687.1

  • {Slide 14}
  • Brad talked through his slide pack presented previously to P1687.1 and extended for this meeting: https://github.com/bradfordvt/P2654Model2/blob/main/docs/MJBUnification20210720.pptx
  • Slide 2: Michele's representation of a RVF message. Brad dispute some of the notions here since the assumption that all data is a vector is false.  This may mean the "RVF" (Relocatable Vector Format) is inherently the wrong term, but it suffices as a placeholder for now.  Assertion that RVF Request and RVF Response messages are essentially the same at the transport layer - they will be different at the application layer.
  • Slide 4: Focusses on P1687.1's reliance on bottom-up messaging. P2654 introduces top-down messaging which needs to be married up to this.
  • Slide 5: Introduces a proposal for a "P2654 Transport Layer Channel" (ties back in to slide 2, above).
  • Slide 7: Noted that "UID" used in previous slides becomes "IID" here as we're now discussing Injection Nodes so are enumerated separately.
  • Slide 8: "Handlers" at the right hand side are equivalent to what we've previously talked of as "transfer procedures".  The use of "handler" in the box at the left hand side (Message handler) may be confusing - it is in fact a message decoder that is used to determine which of the handlers/transfer procedures is applicable.
  • Slide 10: Edited to add the libraries to assist the illustration. Flow though blue boxes eventually results in a flow through the orange boxes. Transfer Module/Transfer Libraries seem to be new terms introduced in these slides.  In essence they are collections of Transfer Procedures.
  • Slide 11: This flow chart may capture the core of what the P2654 standards needs to describe in terms of "process"; the remainder is likely to be standardising the form in which inputs to the process are provided and the interface between nodes (since the code implementing the node may come from any source).

7 b) Continue review of standard draft

  • Not discussed due to lack of time.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • There is a difference between bottom-up and top-down domain contexts.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • Transfer module/library
  • Injection transfer module/library
  • RVF Message (to be refined)
  • RVF Command (to be refined)
  • Carried over:
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • August 9, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh