Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.121, 2021-08-30

 Meeting called to order:  11:05AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 
http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_121.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Carl Walker (Cisco) (left 11:30)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

Guests:
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Heiko moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Carl, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #120, August 16 (draft circulated August 16)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • ITC Special Session featuring presentations on 1687.1, 1581 and 1500.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) P2654 C4 Model - Develop content

  • {Slide 14}
  • Intent is more to identify content rather than to develop it within the meeting.
  • Hierarchical nature of the C4 Model will be lost in the standard's "printed" form. Section headings and annotations to diagrams may help. Suggestion that placing diagrams in an annex may help people to see how the standard might fit their use case.
  • Our diagrams should help us look at what tooling inputs and outputs are expected.
  • Ian concerned about progress on document preparation - Needed to be moving on by September.
  • Brad needs to have the thoughts captured in the diagrams validated by the group.
  • Our top level is the System Test Context diagram.
  • A named reference in a dashed box is a link to another diagram (name needs to exactly match the target diagram title).
  • Do we intend to make the PUML files available for a future WG to pick up and re-use?  Would be useful to do so. Is the iMeet site likely to be maintained after this WG concludes its work?
  • Existing diagrams are rendered in the P2654_C4Model_Architecture.docx file (see item 12, below).
  • When we talk about "food chain", we're probably also considering "tool chain". 
  • Brad showed what was currently in the docx file.
  • A question arises of how we show (if we need to) which boxes encompass elements of P2654 and which are representing things outside of the standard.
  • Another difficulty is that P2654 may span several diagrams. Alternatives like UML Sequence diagrams probably don't help. Might a simple flow diagram work better?
  • Need to trade off simplicity against adequate detail to allow people to produce a workable implementation - the purpose of the standard is to guide implementers.
  • Really need to have the group review and comment on the diagrams Brad has drafted, per existing action. Brad will see if the MD file in github can render the markup as an alternative to the docx file.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Glossary: 

  • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
  • Carried over:
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

10. Takeaways:

  • Consider long-term storage of PUML files for future use. 

11. Schedule next meeting

  • September 13, 2021
    • No meeting on September 6 due to Labor Day holiday.

12. Topic for next meeting

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Jon.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:01 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh