Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.156, 2022-07-25

 Meeting called to order:  11:11 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 
http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_156.pdf

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Flex Logix Technologies, Inc.)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco)

Guests:
---

Excused:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Eric, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #155, July 11 (draft circulated July 11)
    • No corrections.
    • Brian moved to approve as amended, seconded by Brad, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 15}
  • [155.1] Brad: Obtain latest P1687.1 draft from Jeff.
    • Draft is not available yet but Brad has obtained slides that are relevant. Would still like draft to compare structure. ONGOING
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • P2427 ballot concluded but failed to meet approval rate.
  • Our PAR extension request will be considered by NesCom at September 20th meeting. 

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Document Structure

  • {Slide 17}
  • Ian talked through thoughts on normative and informative clauses and the instructions from the Style Guide {slide 36} and how this might affect how we structure the document.
  • Brad described some slides from Jeff's P1687.1 slide deck that are relevant to P2654 and what we're expected to handle {slide 37}.  Numbering of call-outs are simply for identification and do not imply any ordering.  Yellow call-outs are in the P2654 domain. This is something of a re-working of the concepts presented previously by Brad {slide 24}.
  • By contrast, some further slides give Jason Doege's perspective {slides 38, 39}.  This may be missing some of the point of P2654 where the intent is to construct a model that parallels the hardware, therefore the hardware interface to the controller PC does not need to export the low level characteristics of the DUT, as Jason shows, but it is a possible scenario.  Might be trying to perform some of P2654's function in his "dongle".
  • Clause 4 is where we might be confusing informative statements with normative statement.  But perhaps more is normative than we were thinking, e.g. if the text is introducing something that we will then expand and set rules around in a subsequent clause then it is still "part of the standard" and therefore normative.
  • If there are sections that are purely informative that we'd like to present within a normative clause then one possibility is to make a note that points to an informative annex and place the text there. 
  • Current WiP document is IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D02_BGVT_20220711.docm, on iMeetCentral at https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAE9j1A

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • None.

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • August 8, 2022
    • No meeting August 1 due to Ian and Brian absence.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Document structure

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric  moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:58 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh