Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.87, 2020-11-16

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_87.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Oct 26, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)


By email (non-attendees):

Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed. 

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #86, November 9 (draft circulated November 9)
    • No corrections advised.
    • Terry moved to approve as amended, Joel seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 12}
    • [84.2] Ian/Eric: Post template to iMeetCentral for update and review
      • Ian arranging to talk with Eric later this week.  ONGOING.
    • [86.1] - Ian: Supply Heiko with a list of voting members.
      • List supplied. COMPLETE.
    • [86.2] - Ian: Set up reflector email address for elections.
      • Email address configured and tested. COMPLETE.
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • None.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Transformation and RVF to RVF interface boundaries

  • {Slide 14}
  • The input and output of a transformation is a "RVF packet" (or packet block) and is a stream of data that can be sent within (or perhaps between) systems.
  • The main features are (these are also reflected on Slide 45 of the meeting pack):
    • A Universal Identifier (UID) specific to a particular instance of an assembly
    • A command (a string) that indicates which callback is to be employed
    • The payload of parameters/data that is to be used by the callback
  • The UID is an internal identifier created as the model is assembled and could be a simple integer assigned incrementally or could be based on some physical address of the assembly. A UID may need to include some indication of locality, e.g. if models of multiple systems are combined. However it may be that the higher level model simply wraps these UIDs with an alias.
  • The command is suggested to be a string as this makes for easier (human readable) debugging, although using a numerical index might also be possible.
  • We may need to define particular commands that are needed for particular types of interface.
  • {Brad talked through several aspects of his example in Python to illustrate some of the key characteristics}
  • A Black Box assembly will specify the messages you need to use with that assembly.  The next level up in the model may then transform those to integrate into the system design.
  • Brad's current 1149.1 example features SCAN (Scan with no Capture) and CAPSCAN (Scan with Capture) but this is minimal and you'd need more than that to accomplish a test of the scan infrastructure.  These are just variants of the Capture-Scan (or Shift)-Update cycle, could also have Scan-Update, etc. 

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Brad is working on an Open Source Integer Bit Vector in C++ that can be re-used via SWIG and replicates the arbitrary precision of Python. 

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • November 30, 2020.
    • Likely to be short of quorum on November 23 due to Thanksgiving (US).

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Transformation and RVF-to-RVF interface boundaries - message transformation (continuation)

13. Reminders

  • Return nominations for officers to Heiko and Sankaran.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Joel moved to adjourn, seconded by Terry.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:13 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh