Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.88, 2020-11-30

Meeting called to order: 11:04 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_88.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Oct 26, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

Terry took the chair for items 1-4 as Ian had difficulty with audio.

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:25)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Tom Thompson (for IEEE)
Zdenek Plíva (Technical University of Liberec) (left mid-meeting)

By email (non-attendees):

Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Carl, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #87, November 16 (updated draft circulated November 19)
    • No corrections advised.
    • Brad moved to approve, Carl seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • 1149.7 is currently in ballot.
  • Jeff Rearick has been looking at the format of Google RPC as a template for P1687.1's use. 

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Status of elections

  • {Slide 14}
  • Nominations are closed.
  • There are:
    • 2 nominations for Chair
    • 2 nomination for Vice-chair
    • 1 nomination for Secretary
    • 2 nominations for Editor, however one of these is ineligible

7 b) Transformation and RVF to RVF interface boundaries (continued)

  • Is the format of the RVF packet irrelevant, since this would be something handled internal to the implementation of the model? Yes and no: there will be points where different the products of different IP vendors need to join up.  The description for these points of contact would need to be consistent but might that be different to actually defining the RVF packets?
  • There is decoupling of the physical data moving through the system from the model.
  • Modelling methods my differ but the standard should ensure that for a given set of conditions that an equivalent result occurs for all methods.
  • The UID is for internal administration within the model so need not be prescriptive, but at the points where different sub-assemblies (perhaps from different providers) adjoin, will the UIDs from the sub-assemblies need to be exported to the higher level of assembly in order that instances of the same item type can be identified?
  • The physical payload of data is established at the top level of the system.
  • Perhaps need to distinguish that the physical data "payload" is different to the "payload" detailed for the RVF which contains parameters for the callback.
  • Brad described how the nodes (slide 41) could be simplified by thinking of them as transformation engines and considering the Access Interface between nodes (slide 47).
  • Possibly the Access Interface could be considered to everything between adjoining faces of the transformation engines.  Could that mean that the Host and Client interfaces, which are naturally of the same type, can be considered transparent? Probably not as each client will connect to one host but a host could connect to many clients.  The transformation engines will need to have awareness of such relationships but much may depend on where the routing is handled. 
  • Further notes added to slides 45 and 46

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • Some group members may not yet have set up access to iMeet -This will be needed to review the Standard drafts. Ian will check and send reminders {ACTION}.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • A node becomes simplified by considering it as a transformation engine. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • December 7, 2020.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Review standard outline and figures - see if there are any "quick wins"

13. Reminders

  • Acceptance of nominations for officers to Heiko and Sankaran by December 13.

14. List New Action Items

  • [88.1] Ian: Check which members still need to set up access to iMeet.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:06 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh