Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.90, 2020-12-14

Meeting called to order: 11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_90.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Oct 26, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)


By email (non-attendees):

Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Jan Schat (NXP Semiconductors)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #89, December 7 (draft circulated December 7)
    • No correction noted.
    • Brian moved to approve, Terry seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • Michele Portolan has proposed a workshop at ETS 2021 - email circulated to group last week.
  • P1581 is scheduled to hold it's first meeting on January 13 at 10 AM Eastern.  Currently only a small number of people have expressed an interest (many of the original participants have likely retired).  Possibly seek participants from JEDEC as DDR4 relies on 1581.  There is a new "simplified" baseline P&P available that may work better for a very small group. Expectation is for only minimal revision of the standard. 

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Status of elections

  • {Slide 14}
  • Balloting has begun and is scheduled to close on 28th, but may be extended if a quorum of votes have not been received by that date.
  • There is no candidate for Secretary.  Ian urges IEEE-SA members in the group to consider volunteering for the role.  Per our P&P, in the absence of a candidate the Chair will need to appoint someone to the role.
  • It is reasonable that some of the underlying tasks of the offices could be delegated to others in the group provided that the officer takes ownership of the work products.

7 b) Review standard outline and figures - continuation

  • Aim the have a workable draft of the standard by the end of 2021 in order to be able to work through the formal reviews and balloting process before our PAR expires at the end of 2022.
  • Need to be able to break up the task of drafting sections - can't rely on Brad to do all the work.  Brad is keen to ensure that the group members understand the principles he's talked about and are not just passively accepting them.
  • A continuing struggle is that there are features that the systems designer would like to have access to but how do you do that in the hardware, especially where the test engineer may be dealing with a COTS item that may have security features enabled restricting access and there are things he needs to know to make it work. 
  • Needs to be some kind of workflow for the designer, the tooling and the user.
  • JTAG may not be part of the system, or may be disabled.  P2654 should not be assuming that JTAG exists.
  • A quest remains on how we show hierarchies: Bottom to top or right to left? Or can we alternate between these? Do we need to make an explanatory statement on this?
  • Diagram from slide pack in preparation by Brad shared and copied to slide 48 of the meeting pack (Generalized P2654 SW Model).  Noted that there are no arrowheads to indicate "flow".
  • Includes two instances of bridges between different interface types. SCAN Model and JTAG Model are shown as distinct: The SCAN Model is meant to represent the simple capture-shift-update cycle and be representative of the 1687 network, while the JTAG Model includes all of the 1149.1 TAP behaviour.
  • Diagram used by Heiko (Handoff Scope to Hierarchy, slide 10 of ITC 2019 presentation) may be needed, with modifications (e.g. where there is P2654 access directly to a register and where no retargeter is necessary).  Something similar may also provide a template for an ad hoc interface implementation to be incorporated (see also the Custom Model of slide 48 in this week's pack).

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • A number of open issues need to be resolved. 

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • January 4, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Elections update
  • Review new diagrams from over the holiday period

13. Reminders

  • Tom Thompson has circulated a note to WG chairs recommending the IEEE-SA provided training course "Working Group Chair Fundamentals" to all WG officers - the course is free to IEEE-SA members.  Ian concurs and would extend that recommendation to all WG participants that would like to understand the process better.  The course is broken into 12 modules and takes roughly 4 hours in total, but you can work through the modules at your own pace.
    Link: http://go.standards.ieee.org/p0000F08mL000S8YTD0SDP0
    Post meeting note] It appears that the course is now free even for non-IEEE members.

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Brian.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:05 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh