Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.105, 2021-04-19

Meeting called to order: 11:06 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_105.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies) (left 11:30)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

2. Agenda

  • Eric moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #104, April 12 (draft circulated April 12)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, Joel seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1500: Expected to start forming ballot group imminently.
  • P1687.2, P2427 both anticipating a ballot ready draft later in the year.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Continue definition of 'Transformation' and diagramming

  • {Slide 14}
  • Continue consideration of system test example from slide 74.
  • Originally described as external instrument surrounding the item under test, but a common need of a "system test" is to check signal path between component parts of the system, hence the "instruments" might be other sub-assemblies of the system, or different functional parts of a sub-system.
  • "Flows" shown in the diagram may be incomplete or mixed up.
  • Invoking external instruments on different interfaces may be adding complexity.  Probably true, but P2654 set out to support tests that use different physical interfaces.  Does the instruments being external make any difference to the model?
  • Desire to talk to/control the parts of the system without needing to use JTAG (i.e. where JTAG is unavailable).
  • 'Test Stand' is referenced on the diagram but this is merely one example of a test executive.
  • Can consider that the boundary of what we might call "the system" could be drawn almost anywhere on the diagram.
  • "Target SUT" is maybe overly specific and least the "SUT" could possibly be dropped. We could be looking at the test target being something in a rack or on a board or even a PCB mounted module.  Once a board is mounted into a test fixture on a test set then that whole arrangement could be considered "a system" at that point in time.
  • The concept of what comprises "a system" is perhaps determined from the perspective of what is deemed to be the test controller, but for P2654 the idea of a system is a scalable one that can encompass single board systems and multi-rack systems more or less equally.
  • The diagram could be clarified by showing and differentiating signal flows and bus/control flows.  Ian will attempt to do this prior to the next meeting.  Animations might help but would not be useful for the standard itself.
  • The diversity of applications is not something that would be normative in the standard, but could be described in informative annexes. Part of our wider remit is "education", and "designers" frequently lack awareness of the possibilities of test and the needs others might have for test: Design proving or performance tests do not necessarily give rise to good diagnostics.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • The iMeet Central site will be used for the standard drafts, so everyone will need to have access to that.  There is a requirement to verify that everyone has accepted the IEEE Privacy Policy and Ian will be running a verification on that shortly.  Some people may receive emails with instructions on accepting the privacy policy.

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • P2654 needs to be scalable.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • ModelPoint
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • April 26, 2021

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue Use Case diagramming.
  • Look towards documentation.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Terry moved to adjourn, seconded by Eric.
  • Meeting adjourned at 11:58 AM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh