Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.110, 2021-05-24

Meeting called to order: 11:07 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_110.pdf

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)

Guests:
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

By email (non-attendees):
---

Excused:
Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)

2. Agenda

  • Brad requested time to share slides for TAAA workshop - taken under AOB.
  • Joel moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Brad, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #109, May 17 (draft circulated May 17)
    • No correction noted.
    • Joel moved to approve, Jon seconded, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1500 is moving to ballot. Notable change is that the scan out (TDO) may now be set on either the rising or falling edge of the clock.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Continue review of standard draft

  • {Slide 14}
  • Annotation made on IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D01_BGVT_20210517.docm, and saved as IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D01_BGVT_202105124.docm (both in folder Drafts/Group Submissions).
  • Diagrams are placeholders and serve to remind us what themes we want to draft text around.
  • Some diagrams may turn out to be more useful in other places or may support text in more than one section of the standard.  Probably want to avoid replicating diagrams and instead refer to the earlier instance of the figure.
  • May want additional, more detailed explanatory diagrams, perhaps in an annex. Need to ensure that these are understood to be "informative" and not necessarily indicative of the only way to implement the standard which is what the rules in the normative text should express.
  • May want to simplify the Software Architecture diagram, e.g. by using the reduced version from the TAAA Workshop pack (slide 82).
  • Interfaces: Probably right to have physical interfaces first.  Any list of interfaces needs to be clear that it is not exclusive.
  • Some industry accepted interfaces might not be governed by published standards.
  • Some "interfaces" we deal with might be better termed protocols and are not necessarily tied to a single physical hardware interface, e.g. "IPMI over I2C".
  • Protocols perhaps reside in the Data Link layer (by comparison with the OSI 7-layer model). Access Link probably equates to the Messaging layer so perhaps "access" is not the best terms here.
  • Additional notes included in slides 82-84 of the meeting pack.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 16}
  • Brad shared the slide pack he intends to present at the TAAA Workshop on Friday (28th May).
  • Some discussion around reliance on Protobuf - does it constrain tool implementers?

9. Today's Key Takeaways

  • None.

10. Glossary Terms from This Meeting

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • ModelPoint
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • June 7, 2021
    • May 31 is a holiday for many, both in UK and US.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Feedback from TAAA Workshop
  • Continue to review standard draft.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:08 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh