Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.131, 2021-11-15

 Meeting called to order:  11:05 AM EST

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 

The cumulative reference pack is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (updated Dec 31, 2020)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions) (joined 11:16)
Terry Duepner (National Instruments)
Heiko Ehrenberg (GOEPEL Electronics)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Peter Horwood (Digital Development Consultants Ltd) (joined 11:11)
Joel Irby (AMD)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright) (joined 11:07)
Jon Stewart (Dell)
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco)

Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

Bill Huynh (Marvell Inc.)

2. Agenda

  • Heiko moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Terry, no objections.

3. IEEE Patent Slides

  • {Slides 5-10}
  • Patent and Copyright slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 11}
  • Meeting #130, November 8 (draft circulated November 8)
    • No corrections noted.
    • Terry moved to approve, seconded by Brad, no objections or abstentions → minutes approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 13}
  • P1149.7 has re-circulation ballot has closed, 24 comments to resolve. Will start looking at these at December 3 meeting.
  • P1500 re-circulation ballot has started.
  • TTSC considering a Languages sub-committee to look a options on commonality vs use of CTL, ICL, PDL, etc.  Brad has contacted a DSL expert with a view to possible participation.

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Continue Review of Standard Draft

  • {Slide 14}
  • Set aside Representation of a System for now, resume with clause 4.2.
  • There may be degrees of relationship with other standards, e.g. where P2654 and P1687.1 share characteristics or methods. Other standards (and non-formally standardised interfaces) may simple be supported by P2654.
  • List from previously explored Excel table copied in.
  • Clause 4.3
  • The diagram identified as slide 36 from Demo 2 may be mis-read as implying that traditional infrastructure exists alongside the P2654 infrastructure.  In fact the intent is to show that the yellow box is where the "top" of the P2654 software model maps over onto the underlying physical hardware. May not be a better way to represent this graphically in which case a textual explanation may be required.
  • Brad introduced diagrams, developed in conjunction with P1687.1, and included in the pack as slides 111 to 115.
  • Differentiator between P1687.1 and P2654 is that P1687.1 has a retargeter that is driven from the bottom up while P2654 needs to consider top down. 
  • A hand-off occurs between P1687.1 at P2654 at the DPIC (Device Pin Interface Controller).
  • Explanation arising from slide 111 of the different grammars involved.
  • Transformation Node Model (slide 112) shows a single node should perhaps be presented before anything showing a hierarchy of nodes.
  • Slides 113 to 115 expand on P1687.1 diagrams (omitted from the meeting slide pack) to show the P2654 near-equivalents and to incorporate the additional aspects required for top-down flow.
  • Document updated as IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D01_BGVT_20211115.docm.

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 15}
  • None.

9. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

10. Takeaways:

  • None. 

11. Schedule next meeting

  • November 22, 2021
    • Noted that Nov 22 is the week of Thanksgiving, while Nov 29 may be taken for a "long weekend".
    • Expect to continue meetings on both dates but all are asked to advise Ian by email if they expect to absent on either date.

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Continue review of standard draft
    • IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D01_BGVT_20211115.docm
    • Continue with clause 4.3.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Peter.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:03 PM EST

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh