Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.161, 2022-09-19

 Meeting called to order:  11:22 AM EDT

(Meeting originally covened at 11:10 but inquorate until 11:22)

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 
http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_161.pdf

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Flex Logix Technologies, Inc.)
Richard Pistor (Curtiss-Wright)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

Excused:
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brad moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Carl, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #160, August 29 (draft circulated August 29)
    • No corrections.
    • Brad moved to approve, seconded by Carl, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 15}
  • [155.1] Brad: Obtain latest P1687.1 draft from Jeff.
    • Likely within the next week. ONGOING
  • [158.1] - Brad to try to find sources for slides 40 and 41.
    • No time to progress. Not urgent. ONGOING
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • None.  

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Document structure – Flesh out A and B boards on 46 - 53

  • {Slide 17}
  • Brad shared material Jeff Rearick was preparing for P1687.1:
  • Brad and Jeff each asked to prepare examples using I2C; Jeff's used a bit-banging technique, which Brad described.
  • Brief, likely incomplete, points noted:
    • Don't care what's in a Transformation Engine or EHPIC provided you have a way the map the behaviour of 1687 primitives to actions at the External EHPIC pins.
    • 1687 currently only has distinct DataIn and DataOut ports, no concept of a bidirectional DataInOut port.
    • Error handling example: I2C host can only do single byte transfers but client expects multi-byte transfers. This could be recovered by reverting to slower, single-byte operations. This can arise where transfer functions for host and client are written independently of each other.  Recovery might not be automatic - modelling should detect and report the inconsistency, allowing the integrator to determine what action to take. In essence, report any situation where the requested operation cannot be supported by the provided grammar.
    • Some issues that need considered: Where actions are timed then is it by the (e.g.) TCK, or some other clock? Can we know what that clock is?  Need to support both free-running TCK and gated TCK (that's limited to 1149.1 domains but there may be other similar issues elsewhere).
    • Translated bit-bang vectors will grow in size, e.g. doubling in length to allow TCK to toggle state for each clock tick, or to add in NOPs.
    • Errors vs Mismatches:
      • Errors: Infrastructure issues that mean a result is not available or may be unreliable.
      • Mismatches: Response is not as expected, e.g. a device failure.
    • Compile-time errors: e.g. missing TransferProc.
    • Run-time errors: 
      • Recoverable: e.g. buffer overflow and retry;
      • Non-recoverable: e.g. out of memory;
      • Possibly recoverable: e.g. missing ACK in I2C (difference from "Recoverable" is that more effort/intervention is required to effect recovery).
    • Software errors: e.g. primitive name not found.
    • Hardware errors: e.g. protocol fault, clock not running, etc.
    • User-defined errors: e.g. error reported by 1687 callback.
  • Current WiP document remains IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D02_BGVT_20220808.docm, on iMeetCentral at https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAE95fm

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • New TTSC Common WG P&P expected to be approved by SASB tomorrow. Once officially notified by AudCom administrator this will replace out current P&P. In terms of day-to-day operation of this group, the only substantial difference is that the Technical Editor will no longer be an elected office (in fact, it was not a defined office in the previous baseline and was added, probably by historical convention, by most TTSC WGs).

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • September 26, 2022

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Flesh out A and B boards on 46 - 53
    • Prefer to address "structure" if P1687.1 outline is available.

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Brad moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:12 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh