Minutes of P2654 Working Group Meeting No.162, 2022-09-26

 Meeting called to order:  11:04 AM EDT

The slide references relate to the pack used during this meeting, located here: 
http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Meeting_162.pdf

Reference pack 1 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack.pptx (all 2020 material)
Reference pack 2 is located here: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/P2654_Reference_Pack_2.pptx (all 2021 material)

iMeetCentral site: https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/sjtag-sg/ 

1. Roll Call

Ian McIntosh (Leonardo) (chair)
Eric Cormack (DFT Solutions)
Brian Erickson (JTAG Technologies)
Joel Irby (Flex Logix Technologies, Inc.)
Brad Van Treuren (VT Enterprises Consulting Services)
Carl Walker (Cisco Systems)

Guests:
---

Excused:
Louis Ungar (A.T.E. Solutions)
Tom Thompson (for IEEE)

2. Agenda

  • Brian moved to accept the agenda, seconded by Eric, no objections.

3. IEEE Slides

  • {Slides 5-13}
  • Patent, Copyright and Behavior slides reviewed without comment.

4. Review and Approve Previous Minutes

  • {Slide 14}
  • Meeting #161, September 19 (draft circulated September 19)
    • No corrections.
    • Brian moved to approve, seconded by Brad, no objections or abstentions → Approved.

5. Review Open Action Items

  • {Slide 15}
  • [155.1] Brad: Obtain latest P1687.1 draft from Jeff.
    • Likely within the next week. ONGOING
  • [158.1] - Brad to try to find sources for slides 40 and 41.
    • Getting closer to finding them. ONGOING
  • Action Item Register: http://files.sjtag.org/P2654WG/ActionItemRegister.xlsx

6. Inter-group Collaboration

  • {Slide 16}
  • None.  

7. Discussion Topics

7 a) Document structure – Flesh out A and B boards on 46 - 53

  • {Slide 17}
  • Should the System Controller box on slide 53 have a different name?  Probably correct as this is for the embedded system control case.
  • Laptop added to slides 51 and 52 as a remote console (monitoring/reporting). Other slides edited to clarify that the laptop in those is the test controller.
  • We've jumped into describing A' on slide 53 without ever detailing the simpler A - added slide 54.
  • Are we overcomplicating this by trying to detail all possible permutations, especially for Clause 4?
  • Diagrams should probably be Left-to-Right rather than Bottom-to-Top - added slide 55 for A'.
  • In A' interfaces may pass to/from the logic blocks and need not always go through the System Controller.  So do we need to know what's between the interfaces? For A or A' it's acting as a bridge or mux of some sort - slides 56 and 57 added. 
  • Slide 58 added where A' acts as a bridge between the external tester and the target boards.
  • Slides 56, 57, 58 may need more work.
  • Current WiP document remains IEEESTD-P2654_Draft_D02_BGVT_20220808.docm, on iMeetCentral at https://ieee-sa.imeetcentral.com/p/aQAAAAAE95fm

8. Any Other Business

  • {Slide 18}
  • PAR extension is approved until the end of December 2024.
  • No word on full approval of the TTSC Common WG P&P yet.  This has some bearing on officer elections, as noted last week.
  • Moving into final quarter of 2022, our elections are due by the year end and typically take several weeks.  Would like to see the new P&P authorised first.
  • The cloud hosting platform used for the sjtag.org website is being decommissioned by the hosting service on November 10. Equivalent alternatives are significantly more expensive, and Ian is uncomfortable with the effort of migrating sites, especially as there are software migrations required too (as noted at a previous meeting).  Ian is looking into options but likely to involve a combination of iMeet and IEEE-SA Wordpress.  This would cover most of the main material for P2654 but couldn't really replace the current forums and Wiki or the older SJTAG material.  At worst, Ian can retain local backups of the sites.

9. Takeaways:

  • None. 

10. Glossary: 

  • None.
  • Carried over:
    • Transfer Channel, replacing P2654 Message Channel
    • Network will need to be defined
    • PTPG - Programmable Test Pattern Generator/Generation
    • Better define structural test boundary vs functional test
    • Transfer module/library
    • Injection transfer module/library
    • RVF Message (to be refined)
    • RVF Command (to be refined)
    • "Tooling" - need to be clear on what is meant.
    • "True System".
    • Comment that "End-User" is subject to perspective and so needs to be qualified.
    • ModelPoint.
    • System Element.
    • System Resource.
    • 'System' needs the concept of a controller capability added.
    • "Filtering" may need to be defined.
    • "Translation" may need to be defined.
    • "Interface" is missing.
      • No obvious IEEE accepted definition.
      • 1687 has definitions for specialised forms: Device Interface and Instrument Interface.
      • We may need specialised forms for Software Interface and Hardware Interface.
      • "Interface" is overloaded and requires disambiguation.
    • 1687.1: Transformation.
    • IEEE 1856: Sense - "Sensor" done, Acquire, Analyze not really defined.
    • Device - do we mean a packaged device? May be many devices in a package. "Device" is often used as a modifier, e.g. "device package", "device identification".
    • Use Case Context, Application Context
    • Legacy Infrastructure, SJTAG Infrastructure (placeholders for now, really for working group to define).
    • "Generators": May need to be qualified as "Test Generators" (used by the integrator/tester) and "Model Generators" (used by IP providers, interface designers, etc.).
    • AccessLink and DataLink descriptions will need to be revised.
    • See P1687.1's definitions on Slide 31 of the pack presented by Jeff Rearick on Jan 14, 2019.
    • "State", "Vector", "Sequence" and "Pattern" as proposed at April 8, 2019 meeting.
    • "Event", "Access Interface" as proposed at April 15, 2019 meeting.
    • 'Port' needs to be developed.

11. Schedule next meeting

  • October 3, 2022

12. Topic for next meeting

  • Document structure
  • Flesh out boards on 57 - 58

13. Reminders

14. List New Action Items

  • None.

15. Adjourn

  • Eric moved to adjourn, seconded by Carl.
  • Meeting adjourned at 12:04 PM EDT

Respectfully submitted,
Ian McIntosh